- ¾ pound whole wheat pennette or penne
- One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes in tomato puree, drained
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, puree the tomatoes until smooth.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the sliced garlic and cook over moderately low heat until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Add the crushed red pepper and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 6 minutes.
- Season the tomato sauce with salt.
- Salt the boiling water. Add the pennette to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce in the skillet. Toss well and spoon into bowls or a serving dish.
- Sprinkle the pennette with parsley and serve.