The secret to perfect sausages on the grill is to poach them in beer first. When you cook them all the way on a grill you loose all the good juicy fat by the time they are safe to eat. You’ll need an instant-read digital thermometer and some extra prep time in the kitchen but the results are worth it and it will make the grill time much faster.
- Put the raw sausages in a large sauce pan or small pot and cover with at least a half inch of flavorful beer.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and let cook until the internal temperature of the sausages reaches a safe point to eat: 145°F for pork, 165°F for chicken
- Take the sausages out of the beer and refrigerate if you’re not using them immediately
- Finish by browning them on the grill until warm and caramelized
Good places to buy hand-made gourmet sausage:
Photo by Phil and Pam Gradwell via Flickr used with CC Attribution license
Galbi is Korean barbecued beef short ribs. Marinate the meat overnight to allow the acid from the pear and sugar to tenderize the meat. The meat will be so tender you can put on a good char and cook it medium.
Serves 4, enough for 2 lbs meat, flanken short ribs are preferable.
- 4 scallions, finely sliced
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 asian pear, finely chopped
- ¼ cup dark soy sauce
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sake or mirin (rice wine)
- 2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
Photo by Stacey Shintani via Flickr used with CC Attribution, Non Commercial, Share Alike license
Great for grilling flavorful cuts of meat that don’t require a long cooking time: flank steak, skirt steak, pork, chicken legs, and oily fish.
- 4 Tbsp. cup cumin seeds
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Toast the cumin and coriander seeds.
- Combine and grind all ingredients in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder.
- 2 lbs tofu
- 2 onions chopped
- 3 eggs
- 8 oz walnuts chopped
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup wheat germ
- ½ cup soy sauce
- Garlic powder to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Mash tofu
- Mix in onion, carrot & walnut
- Beat eggs
- Mix in tofu
- Oil cookie sheet
- Form into patties
- Bake 375° for 30 min or until browned
- Turn patties over once
Photo by Moira Clunie via Flickr used with CC Attribution, Non Commercial, Share Alike license